Saturday, August 6, 2016

THIS MONTH IN HISTORY - AUGUST

EVENTS THAT TOOK PLACE IN SJI IN THE MONTH OF AUGUST:

August 1
1955 - Public performance of SJI Dramatic Society's adaptation of 'Twelfth Night'.

August 2-3
1968 - A Food & Fun Fair was held, aimed to pay off debts incurred during the rapid expansion of SJI over the past 4 years.




 Souvenir booklet for the 1968 Food & Fun Fair

August 5
1953 - The second issue of the Term Review was released.








August 10
1908 - The Main Block was officially opened by the High Commissioner, Sir John Anderson. 

 Taken from the 1954 Golden Jubilee book

August 18
1984 - The 80th Anniversary Dinner at SJI Primary

2009 - The Good Shepherd of SJI, Rev. Bro. Datuk Lawrence Spitzig, passes away at the age of 91 in Assunta Hospital. The wake was held in SJI the next day.

August 19
1972 - The Charity Big Walk was held at the Lake Gardens and was officiated by Tan Sri H.T. Ong, Chairman of the Board of Governors. Johannians managed to exceed the initial estimated target of $25,000 with a final figure of $44,440.94.

August 26-27
1984 - The 'Pesta Karnival Ria' was held as a fund raiser for the School Development Fund. The Carnival was declared open by Datuk Abdullah Badawi, Minister of Education


August 28
1965 - The completed Arts Block (now Form Five block) was blessed by His Excellency Monsignor Dominic Vendargon, Bishop of Kuala Lumpur.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Biography of Rev. Bro. Conleth Henry 
by the late Rev. Bro. Vincent Corkery

Johannians studying in St. John's between the mid-1960's to the 1970's, would be familiar with this name. 

Bro. Conleth was among the several Brothers who were teaching in SJI back then.  

Sunday, July 17, 2016

FAREWELL CEREMONY FOR THE PRINCIPAL OF SJI


LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 20, 2016, A FAREWELL CEREMONY WILL BE HELD FOR
DR. M. PUVANDENDRAN, PRINCIPAL OF ST. JOHN'S INSTITUTION
WHO IS RETIRING BY MANDATORY STATUTE.

STJOHNINSTITUTION.BLOGSPOT.COM TAKES THIS OPPORTUNITY TO EXPRESS ITS SINCEREST GRATITUDE TO DR. PUVANENDRAN FOR HIS SERVICES TO SJI OVER THE YEARS AS SENIOR ASSISTANT AND PRINCIPAL.

THIS MONTH IN HISTORY - JUNE & JULY

Greetings!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the June edition of This Month in History could not be completed within the month of June. 

In this edition, we will explore the events that took place over the months of June and July.

June

1906 - Rev. Bro. Imier of Jesus, Provincial Visitor of the United States visited SJI

June 5
2002 - The last Director of SJI, Rev. Bro. Michael Wong officially retires

June 7
1971 - To emphasize the importance of Bahasa Malaysia, Rev. Bro. Joseph Yeoh announced that Bahasa Malaysia was to be spoken at all times on Fridays except during lessons.

1984 - The Job-A-Long campaign raised RM42,344.67

June 14
1969 - The opening of the play "The Government Inspector" by the Dramatic Society. Bro. Celestine stars in this play.

June 21
2004 - The launching of the "Limited 2D Art Piece" by then Raja Muda of Perak, Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah

July

July 6
1957 - The Cadet Corps receive their Colours from General Sir Francis Festing, Commander-in-Chief of the Far East Land Forces

July 8
2002 - A new beginning as SJI welcomes its first lay principal, Mr. Peter Yii Sing Chiu

July 9
1955 - After one year since the extension project commenced, the new field was opened with the school Annual Sports.

July 21
1989 - SJI bade farewell to its school bus due to financial constraints

July 28
1960 - Rev. Bro. Vernier Augustus, one of the pioneer Brothers in Malaya, passed away. Bro. Augustus was the architect of the Main Block of SJI. He was also the founder of St. Michael's Institution as well as the architect for the St. Francis Institution chapel.

From the 1960 Term Review Issue 3

July 31
2004 - The centenary Hari Keluarga 

Sunday, May 15, 2016

HAPPY TEACHER'S DAY 2016 FROM US AT stjohninstitution.blogspot.com

Ladies and gentlemen,

On Monday, May 16, we will be observing a day in which we express our sincerest gratitude and appreciation to a group of amazing people who made most of us who we are.

On this auspicious occasion, we would like to wish all teachers, past and present a Happy Teacher's Day. Thank you for your guidance and support in our quest to success and finding ourselves. May God bless all of you for your noble actions.

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them." - John F. Kennedy

Saturday, May 14, 2016

THIS MONTH IN HISTORY - MAY

In this edition, we will look at the events that took place in St. John's during the month of May:

May 1
1956 - Formation of the S.J.M.A.C

May 2
1984 - "The Pledge to St. John's", a song written by Mr. Dennis Doss in conjunction of the 80th anniversary, was introduced to Johannians. 

May 17
1955 - Rev. Bro. D'Joseph, Director since May 1948 was transferred to St. Xavier's Institution, Penang. His successor was Rev. Bro. Tibertius Lawrence Spitzig.

Front Page of 1955 Term Review Term 2

May 20
1964 - HRH The Sultan and Tengku Ampuan of Selangor attended the staging of "Bamboo Princess" at KL Town Hall in conjunction of the Diamond Jubilee year. Also present was Tun Dr. Ismail, Home Minister and Chairman of the Developmnt Committee.

May 23
1964 - HRH The Sultan and and Tengku Ampuan of Selangor attended the Jubilee Sports held at the school field. 

May 24
1954 - The St. John's Dramatic Society presents William Shakespeare's "Macbeth" for seven consecutive nights in the school hall.


Reviews on "Macbeth" from the Term Review

1956 - Visit of Mr. Edward Payne, Director of Education in conjunction of Commonwealth Day.


May 30
1964 - During the Old Boys Dinner, Rev. Bro. Joseph McNally, Director of SJI announced that the Director house will be renamed D'Joseph house in honour of former Director Rev. Bro. Joseph Brophy.



Transcript of Rev. Bro. Joseph McNally's speech during the Old Boys Dinner

Saturday, April 16, 2016

THE ORIGIN OF THE SCHOOL MAGAZINE - 1953 TERM REVIEW

In 1953, Rev. Bro. Celestine introduced a tabloid that reports happenings in the school and select works from Johannians. The name of this tabloid - Term Review.

It ran as a series of three papers per annum until 1963 when it was merged into a magazine. The Term Review then became Term Review/Garudamas before it was renamed as Garudamas in 1966.

In case you're wondering, the volume count of the present day Garudamas started when the Term Review became a magazine in 1963.

The Term Review made its debut on April 15, 1953. Today, we proudly present a copy of the Term Review Volume 1 Number 1 for your viewing pleasure.











Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...